PERFORMANCE INFORMATION 2020
“Dora Stratou” Greek Dances Theatre, Philopappou Hill
Garden Theatre – The living museum of Greek dance
OPENING NIGHT 27 May 2020 CLOSING NIGHT 20 September 2020
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 21:30. Saturday and Sunday 20:30. Monday, Tuesday (27, 28 June, 1-5 July and 12-23 August) closed or organizes additional performances and charity events. Please visit www.grdance.org
RESERVATIONS are not necessary, the theatre has 860 seats.
CLASSES All year long group classes on Greek dances in English, for beginners and advanced. Also private classes.
CONTACT Tel. +30 210 921 4650 (19:30 – 21:00) & +30 210 324 4395 (09:00 – 16:00)
PROGRAM Program changes every second Wednesday. Performances last 90 minutes without intermission. Company of 75 dancers, musicians and singers. Many regions of Greece presented in each performance, each village or island through its authentic dances, costumes, musical instruments and songs. Reproduction is as faithful to the historic original as possible.
ACCESS Our garden theatre is situated opposite the Acropolis entrance, on the far side of Philopappou Hill.
To parking entrance (Arakynthou 33, Philopappou Hill):
By metro: Stations “Acropolis” or “Fix”, line 2.
By subway: Station “Petralona”, line 1
By bus: Trolley bus 15, Philopappou stop, or bus line 230 Zografou-Acropolis, terminal at Acropolis.
By car: Drive around Philopappou Hill, starting at the “Dionysos” restaurant opposite the Acropolis; we have a spacious parking lot.
Entrance from St. Dimitrios Loumbardiaris pedestrian street, opposite Acropolis:
By metro: station Acropolis, line 2. From Plaka, the old town of Athens, take the pedestrian street towards St. Dimitrios Loumbardiaris, opposite the entrance of the Acropolis.
By bus: Bus line 230 Zografou-Acropolis, terminal station at Acropolis.
DESCRIPTION The national Greek Dances Theatre “Dora Stratou” is unique in its kind in the world. Since 1953 it is the living museum of Greek dance. Dances, songs and music are presented in their original forms as were or are still performed in the respective villages or islands. Costumes are authentic museum pieces, handmade in villages more than a century ago. The company wardrobe contains 2,000 such historical costumes from all over Greece, complete with jewelry and accessories.
Extensive field studies by a team of researchers under the direction of professor Alkis Raftis supports the fidelity of performances to the original.
The cultural and educational activities of the Theatre are financed by the Ministry of Culture, the National Tourism Organization, other government agencies and private donnors.
Dance classes in English for individuals or groups. School with 500 students. Lectures, workshops, research programs. Copies of folk costumes made to order or rented. Library, collections and archives. Publications: books, albums, postcards, CDs, DVDs, T-shirts, posters etc. Close cooperation with the International Dance Council CID at UNESCO. Detailed information at www.grdance.org 12/09/2019
DORA STRATOU GREEK DANCES THEATRE
The living museum of Greek dance, since 1953
A public-benefit institution subsidized by the
Ministry of Culture and the National Tourism Organization
under the patronage of the City of Athens
– Daily performances in its 860-seat garden theatre, located on Philopappou Hill, opposite the Acropolis
– A company of 75 dancers, musicians and folk singers
– A collection of over 2,000 village-made costumes, with jewelry and other works of folk art worn on stage.
– School providing courses, lectures and workshops on Greek dance, rebetiko dances, dance therapy, folk embroidery. Teacher training program.
– Programs for elementary schools.
– Field research programs in Dance Ethnography, Dance History, Dance Sociology.
– Study group, classes and workshops on Ancient Greek dance.
– Archives of dance books, articles, field recordings, photographs, videos and films.
– Publications: over 45 LP records, 15 CDs, 15 cassettes, 14 videocassettes, 30 books on dance in Greek, English and other languages, 9 CD-ROMs, 6 DVDs.
– Costume copies and accessories made for folk dance ensembles.
– Organizer of annual events: World Congress on Dance Research, Anapali Festival, Emmelia Festival.
– Operation of the Greek Dance Pandect portal: www.dance-pandect.gr and various websites.
– Close cooperation with the International Dance Council CID, the UNESCO official summit organization for all forms of dance in all countries of the world: www.cid-portal.org
Office building: Scholiou 8, Plaka, GR-10558 Athens
Tel. +30 210 324 4395, +30 210 324 6188, fax +30 210 324 6921
Theater and school: Philopappou Hill, +30 210 921 4650
firstname.lastname@example.org www.grdance.orgδιαβάστε περισσότερα