Historical monasteries attached to the tradition of the Greeks since the 1st century BC – Byzantine buildings, churches, holy relics…
The steps of the Apostles of Jesus, who taught and founded the new faith in Greece.
We follow the trails of the great tradition of the Christian Orthodox religion.
The monastery of Saint Irene, Andros
The monastery of Saint Irene was founded in 1780 at Archontas in the village of Apoikia by the Spiridou brothers, both of whom were monks. At that time it was a nunnery, but in 1833 it was abandoned, due to King Otto's Royal Degree which demanded the dissolution of the orthodox monasteries, which... read more
The Clock Tower was built in 1884, the era of Sultan Abdul Hamid B. In the decade of 1950 became architectural interventions and took its current form. Behind the tower rises the minaret of the mosque of Yeni Mosque from the balcony where the muezzin calls the faithful of Islam to prayer. In the courtyard... read more
Ecclesiastical Museum Metropolis Maronias...
The Ecclesiastical Museum Metropolis of Maronia and Komotini houses the collection of ecclesiastical objects (portable icons, sacred objects, priestly vestments, manuscripts and liturgical books) which collected from the temples of the ecclesiastical province of relevant Metropolis as well as donations... read more
Ecclesiastical Museum Metropolis of Xanthi...
The Ecclesiastical Museum of Holy Metropolis of Xanthi and Margin housed in the east wing of the Monastery of Panagia Archangeliotissa. Monastery is northeast of Xanthi. The museum"s collection was set up in the early decade of 60 by metropolitan of that time of Xanthi Anthonio. Exhibits of the museum... read more
The Catholic Chapel of Agia Pakou, dominates on the top of the Hill of Galissas. It is a very picturesque chapel that seems to be hovering amidst the colours of the sky and sea, the white and the blue while offering magnificent views to the azure Aegean Sea and the sunset. Access to the chapel is difficult... read more
Agia Paraskevi was built in 1600 in Alithini and belongs to the shipowner Athanasio Martino. This is a private church with a dome built in Byzantine style that was reconstructed and expanded in 1873. Located in a perfect location the church offers magnificent views to the island’s harbor as well... read more
Agia Thekla is a beautiful catholic church in the region of Megas Gialos standing out for its curved walls, the exterior tower and courtyard. Source: www.syrosisland.gr [vc_row][vc_column][ivi_nbcaj layout="5" viewas="list" cat_id="Syros" animation="fadeInRight" title="Posts about Syros" cmlabel="read... read more
The first Church of St. Athanasios was built in 1631 but has since suffered several destructions and after being rebuilt again and again it is now standing impressively in a ravine, surrounded by platans and running spring water on the backside of Ano Syros. It is a beautiful stone church with a stone... read more
The Church of Agioi Anargyroi is situated in the district of Mana, on the road connecting Ermoupoli with the surrounding areas. It is a cruciform church of Byzantine style with a dome and a large courtyard adorning the area since 1862. Source: www.syrosisland.gr [vc_row][vc_column][ivi_nbcaj layout="5"... read more
The orthodox church of Agios Antonios is situated by the seaside, in the region of Megas Gialos. It is distinguished for its unique cruciform domed architecture and the simple hagiography in the interior. A feast is organized on January the 17th in honor of the Saint, where guests are offered soup and wine. Source: www.syrosisland.gr [vc_row][vc_column][ivi_nbcaj... read more
Agios Georgios was built in 1839 in the region of Syros, originally as a one-aisled church while after the successive disasters it suffered, the church was reconstructed in the early 20th century as a three-aisled Basilica with the addition of the chapels of Agia Thekla and Agios Andreas. At the entrance... read more
On May 25th of 1936 Manousos Pelekis from Ermoupoli had a vision which led him to the icon of Saint Demetrios. After the command of the Metropolitan of Syros at the time, Filaretos a magnificent stone church of Byzantine style with a dome was built in the exact place where the icon was found, a church... read more
St. John was built in 1876 at the center of Poseidonia with the donations of George Veltsos, Themistocles Petrokokkinos as well as various precious sacred relics and icons of the 19th century sent by Zanis Petrokokkinos from St. Petersburg. It is a church of Byzantine style with a dome and cruciform... read more
The Church of St. Nicholas is a magnificent Byzantine Church near Miaouli square that began to be manufactured in 1848 according to the designs of G. Metaxas and the consent of King Otto. The church was finally completed in 1870. Saint Nicholas, patron saint of Ermoupoli stands out for its lavish... read more
Ecclesiastical Museum οf Ermoupoli
The ecclesiastical Museum of Ermoupoli was created from the initiative taken by the Metropolitan Bishop of Syros Dorotheos A’ in 1984 who managed to create an exceptional collection of ecclesiastical exhibits by sending the Archimandrite at the time being and current Bishop of Syros Dorotheo B΄ to collect... read more
The Jewish Museum of Greece was founded in 1977 by the Jewish Community of Athens. Housed in a room of the Synagogue on Melidoni street, this small museum contains objects that survived World War II; objects from the everyday lives of Greek Jews, mostly small works of art, historic documents and heirlooms.... read more
The Athens Cathedral
Dedicated to the Annunciation of the Mother of God, The Athens Metropolitan Cathedral was built between 1842 and 1862, its three-aisled, domed basilica overlooking a street with the same name. Located a short distance from Syntagma square, its design and construction was enhanced by the many famous architects... read more