The church of Agia (Saint) Matrona with its characteristic palm tree lies to the east of the main street in Phoenikia on Santorini and was built in 1859 by Frangisko Plati, a shipowner from Oia. In the old days Phoenikia was the farmers’ quarter of Oia. But here one also found the kanaves (cellars) belonging to Oia residents and the ruling class who stored their wine barrels, farming equipment and quite often even their livestock in these impressive enormous underground spaces. In the beginning of the 20th century there were more than 150 of these kanaves, but they were abandoned after the war. Today many have been transformed into pensions, while others remain abandoned; very few are still used for storage.
The feast day or panigyri of Agia Matrona in Phoenikia takes place on October the 20th, after the hordes of tourists have departed and the local population can have some fun amongst themselves.
Source: Greek Gastronomy Guide
The Gaia Winery on Santorini (the firm has another one in Nemea) is on the eastern side of the island, right next to the sea, near the airport and between the villages of Kamari and Monolithos. It is housed in an exquisite stone building constructed in the early 20th century, which used to be one of the 13 tomato processing plants on the island. The abandoned cannery was purchased and renovated... read more
Among the new wineries and the new vintners of Santorini who bring honour to Greece abroad with their wines, there is a veteran. Antonis Arvanitis is a warm human being and he greets you that way at his cellar in Megalochori not far from Pyrgos. At “Antonis Arvanitis Winery” one can drink the old nychteri, the wine that was harvested over-ripe and fermented in old French or Russian barrels.... read more
The Estate Argyros Winery was established by Georgios Argyros in 1903. At that time his ambition was to expand his vineyard to 2 hectares and that is why he created the winery. In 1950 the winery passed to his son Mattheos, who extended it to 6 hectares. In 1974 it was taken over by Yannis Argyros who expanded the area of the vineyard to 26 hectares, modernized the winery (“Estate Argyros”) and worked... read more
The Koutsoyannopoulos Winery on Santorini includes the unique Koutsoyannopoulos Wine Museum. The museum presents the history of wine and the life of the Santorinian vintner from 1660 to 1970 in an old and labyrinthine winery, eight metres below the surface and 300 metres long. Visitors are shown around the history of wine through the use of mobile and still reproductions, while automatic electronic... read more
On the country road towards Kamari, in a traditional domed complex of buildings is the Yiannis Nomikos Estate, the most complete agricultural-processing facility in Santorini. Here they process and package various local products, including fava, sun-dried tomatoes, pistachios and candied fruit. “If you want to cultivate fava successfully you must become fava yourself!” This was the advice... read more
The Venetsanos Winery, built in 1949 by the Venetsanos family from Megalochori, was the first industrial winery on Santorini. Giorgos Venetsanos’s family, one of the most prosperous on the island, had left for Cairo, Egypt between the wars and when they returned they bought up large tracts of land, including one in Megalohori, above Athinios bay. Built on the edge of the caldera, exactly above... read more