The Ecclesiastical Museum Metropolis of Maronia and Komotini houses the collection of ecclesiastical objects (portable icons, sacred objects, priestly vestments, manuscripts and liturgical books) which collected from the temples of the ecclesiastical province of relevant Metropolis as well as donations of refugees who settled in the area of Komotini.
The exhibits cover the period from the 16th to the early 20th century are the evidence of post-Byzantine ecclesiastical art of the
region. Purpose of the museum is to collect, preserve, preservation, exhibition and promotion of all kinds of objects which promote ecclesiastical art and history of the Metropolis of Maronia and Komotini.
Museum is under the direct supervision of Holy Metropolis of Komotini and Maronia. The museum is housed in a restored Ottoman house of the 15th century which until the early 20th century was used as a poorhouse (Imaret).
Source: Eastern Macedonia & Thrace
The bridge is located at the exit of Kompsatos, which stems from mountainous Rodopi, is crossed Thracian valley and empties into Lake Vistonida. In the surrounding area have identified several sites with pre-Christian and Christian antiquities with main Byzantine castle of Polyanthos and an aisled basilica between the village of Polianthos and the bridge. [su_slider source="media: 10115,10116,10117,10118"... read more
Excavations of the site started in the late 1960's and have brought to light: The theatre of the city, in which two architectural phases are distinguished, dated to the Hellenistic and Roman periods. A sanctuary, probably of Dionysos, dated to the 4th century B.C. , a large Hellenistic house with a mosaic floor, two extensive building complexes, most probably of public function, also dated to the Hellenistic... read more
The settlement of Maronia spread over a vast area, from Ismaros Mountain to the Ptelea Lake. Several monuments are today labeled and countless others are scattered throughout the olive groves and the mountainous landscapes of Ismaro. Worth seeing sights are the fortification of Agios Georgios (the megalithic Gate), the complex of Roman times, the walls of the citadel Agios Athanasios (the walls... read more
The idea to build a large cultural and conference center in Komotini began in the mid of 1980 decade. Finally study commissioned by the famous architect Nikos Valsamaki but construction was delayed due to lack of funding. Eventually a portion of the building was constructed and completed in the year 2010.To Hall Komotini is located in Santa Varvara, near the camp Iliopoulos and is the third of Greece.... read more
The Clock Tower was built in 1884, the era of Sultan Abdul Hamid B. In the decade of 1950 became architectural interventions and took its current form. Behind the tower rises the minaret of the mosque of Yeni Mosque from the balcony where the muezzin calls the faithful of Islam to prayer. In the courtyard housed the religious authority of Muslims Rhodope, the Mufti of Komotini. At the southwestern... read more
The Thracian Museum of Education of the Association of Educational Sciences was founded in 1992 to collect and exhibit school objects, documents and books of historical importance, mainly Thracian and of the wider area. Such museums are currently scarce in our country and it is worth noting what, perhaps, is the only rich collection with photographs and a series of wonderful saved school objects that... read more