Messemvria-Zone, a colony of Samothraki the late 7th century BC, initially served the needs of the diocese in agricultural products and commercial communication with the Thracian tribes of the hinterland. But the original rural character passed almost early – in the 6th century B.C. – in a second place, as well as trading and maritime movement of goods proved to be very safe and profitable. So the city developed quickly to an important commercial center and was highly developed
during the 5th and 4th century B.C.
The financial health of the city reveals the amount of two coins, established for the contribution to the fund of the First Athenian Alliance. But the penetration of Athenian power in the region, the imposition to the colonies of Samothraki a rather heavy burden of tax and possibly events that are missing completely written historical evidence, led to the gradual decline.
According to some testimonies, Aesop, the great storytellers of antiquity had originated from this city. The archaeological site of Messimvria are remnants of the Sanctuary of Dimitra and the Temple of Apollo. On the west side lies the main part of town, where among other buildings, there are two public buildings, but also an impressive location where dozens of traditional earthenware jars kept.
Source: Eastern Macedonia & Thrace
Curative Natural Resource Traianoupoli
The hot curative springs of Traianoupoli were a major attraction from ancient times. The city of Traianoupoli was built by the Roman emperor Traianos in the beginning of the 2nd century A.D. According to tradition, Traianos (106/7 A.D.) on his way to and from war for Dakia created “agores”. He founded schools, libraries, baths (thermae). The foundation of Traianoupoli fell within the reconstruction... read more
Castle in Pythion
The Castle in Pythio (of the Byzantine Empythio) is located 16 km north of Didymoteicho, near the railway bridge, which enters from the Greek to the Turkish ground. It was built from 1331 to 1341 by Ioannis Kantakouzenos VI, who used it to control the crossings from the valley of the Evros river. Back then, this great river was navigable almost until Filipoypoli and it was the main commercial artery... read more
The hill of Agia Petra in south-eastern side of Didymoteicho has been largely associated with the Roman Plotinopoli. The city was founded by the Roman emperor Trajan, named in honor of his wife Plotina. This hill, in a strategic position, attracted the archaeological interest before the Second World War. In 1965, during the construction of a trench by soldiers was found a hammered gold bust of the Roman... read more
Archaeological Site Zone Messimvria
Messemvria-Zone, a colony of Samothraki the late 7th century BC, initially served the needs of the diocese in agricultural products and commercial communication with the Thracian tribes of the hinterland. But the original rural character passed almost early - in the 6th century B.C. - in a second place, as well as trading and maritime movement of goods proved to be very safe and profitable. So the city... read more
Archaelogical exhibition of Spileo
At the basement of the municipal refreshment of Spileo, at the "Koryfi" (“Top”) area, in a beautiful natural environment, with the view of the plains of Arda and Adrianoupoli, there is the archaeological educational exhibition of Spileo. In a space that was remodeled, after a museological study, with new design and proper lighting, the visitor can see a photographic exhibition of archaeological... read more
Municipal picture gallery of Didymoteicho
Inside the castle, former residence of Vafeiadis, the renovated building of the Greek interwar, is housed the Municipal Gallery of Didymoteicho. It was founded in 2000 to host the works of the internationally renowned painter Dimitrios Nalbandis. t was decorated internally and externally in eleven months time by the same painter, under voluntary offer to its hometown and the memory of his mother.... read more