The hill of Agia Petra in south-eastern side of Didymoteicho has been largely associated with the Roman Plotinopoli. The city was founded by the Roman emperor Trajan, named in honor of his wife Plotina. This hill, in a strategic position, attracted the archaeological interest before the Second World War. In 1965, during the construction of a trench by soldiers was found a hammered gold bust of the Roman emperor Septimius Severus (193-21 AD), which is now kept in the Museum of
Systematic excavations conducted by the 19th Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities of Komotini the summer of 1977 and in the early 80s, while excavations in the area have been ongoing since 1996 until today. The excavation have revealed a large complex with wonderful Roman mosaics, which was in use from the 2nd until the end of the 6th century. It was also found part of baths with its hypocaust (the heating room under the baths). The most impressive of all the findings, is a large stone well of 12.67 m depth, the bottom of which has not yet been identified. In the northern part there is an opening that leads to a vaulted chamber, which was used to pump water from the well. The complex is a unique example of hydraulic architecture, it is associated with the water supply of the city and is probably contemporary with its foundation (early 2nd century AD).
Finally, what it is also interesting, are portable findings of the excavation, dating from the Neolithic to the Late Roman.
Source: Eastern Macedonia & Thrace
The hot curative springs of Traianoupoli were a major attraction from ancient times. The city of Traianoupoli was built by the Roman emperor Traianos in the beginning of the 2nd century A.D. According to tradition, Traianos (106/7 A.D.) on his way to and from war for Dakia created “agores”. He founded schools, libraries, baths (thermae). The foundation of Traianoupoli fell within the reconstruction... read more
The Castle in Pythio (of the Byzantine Empythio) is located 16 km north of Didymoteicho, near the railway bridge, which enters from the Greek to the Turkish ground. It was built from 1331 to 1341 by Ioannis Kantakouzenos VI, who used it to control the crossings from the valley of the Evros river. Back then, this great river was navigable almost until Filipoypoli and it was the main commercial artery... read more
The hill of Agia Petra in south-eastern side of Didymoteicho has been largely associated with the Roman Plotinopoli. The city was founded by the Roman emperor Trajan, named in honor of his wife Plotina. This hill, in a strategic position, attracted the archaeological interest before the Second World War. In 1965, during the construction of a trench by soldiers was found a hammered gold bust of the Roman... read more
Messemvria-Zone, a colony of Samothraki the late 7th century BC, initially served the needs of the diocese in agricultural products and commercial communication with the Thracian tribes of the hinterland. But the original rural character passed almost early - in the 6th century B.C. - in a second place, as well as trading and maritime movement of goods proved to be very safe and profitable. So the city... read more
At the basement of the municipal refreshment of Spileo, at the "Koryfi" (“Top”) area, in a beautiful natural environment, with the view of the plains of Arda and Adrianoupoli, there is the archaeological educational exhibition of Spileo. In a space that was remodeled, after a museological study, with new design and proper lighting, the visitor can see a photographic exhibition of archaeological... read more
Inside the castle, former residence of Vafeiadis, the renovated building of the Greek interwar, is housed the Municipal Gallery of Didymoteicho. It was founded in 2000 to host the works of the internationally renowned painter Dimitrios Nalbandis. t was decorated internally and externally in eleven months time by the same painter, under voluntary offer to its hometown and the memory of his mother.... read more