The Silk Museum details the phases of sericulture and silk industry.
Operated by the Piraeus Bank Group Cultural Foundation and is housed in a neoclassical building of 1886, the mansion Kourtidi, located in downtown Soufliou which was renovated and opened in September 2008.
In the museum you have the opportunity to learn the history of natural silk route from China to Europe. It also shows all the phases and stages of the pre-industrial process of rearing silkworms
(sericulture) and processing of silk (silk), in the socio-economic context that made the region an important center of silk in Greece (late 19th – mid 20th century).
The documentary highlighted here help connect the sericulture and silk industry with specific spatial and temporal context.
In the section “Costumes Soufli “will admire unique accessories of Soufli costumes.
Young visitors have the opportunity to see reconstructions of all stages of silk processing.
The Museum organizes educational programs with games and activities for schools and group visits, such as the “Come to weave”, where children are taught the cycle of sericulture, the process of weaving and dyeing of silk.
Organized visits: for better service to visitors groups should be preceded prior arrangement with the Museum.
Persons with disabilities (PWD): The entrance for persons with disabilities are free. For group visits, tt is necessary the prearrangement with the Museum.
Mr Ahilleas Alexoudis
Source: Eastern Macedonia & Thrace
The hot curative springs of Traianoupoli were a major attraction from ancient times. The city of Traianoupoli was built by the Roman emperor Traianos in the beginning of the 2nd century A.D. According to tradition, Traianos (106/7 A.D.) on his way to and from war for Dakia created “agores”. He founded schools, libraries, baths (thermae). The foundation of Traianoupoli fell within the reconstruction... read more
The Castle in Pythio (of the Byzantine Empythio) is located 16 km north of Didymoteicho, near the railway bridge, which enters from the Greek to the Turkish ground. It was built from 1331 to 1341 by Ioannis Kantakouzenos VI, who used it to control the crossings from the valley of the Evros river. Back then, this great river was navigable almost until Filipoypoli and it was the main commercial artery... read more
The hill of Agia Petra in south-eastern side of Didymoteicho has been largely associated with the Roman Plotinopoli. The city was founded by the Roman emperor Trajan, named in honor of his wife Plotina. This hill, in a strategic position, attracted the archaeological interest before the Second World War. In 1965, during the construction of a trench by soldiers was found a hammered gold bust of the Roman... read more
Messemvria-Zone, a colony of Samothraki the late 7th century BC, initially served the needs of the diocese in agricultural products and commercial communication with the Thracian tribes of the hinterland. But the original rural character passed almost early - in the 6th century B.C. - in a second place, as well as trading and maritime movement of goods proved to be very safe and profitable. So the city... read more
At the basement of the municipal refreshment of Spileo, at the "Koryfi" (“Top”) area, in a beautiful natural environment, with the view of the plains of Arda and Adrianoupoli, there is the archaeological educational exhibition of Spileo. In a space that was remodeled, after a museological study, with new design and proper lighting, the visitor can see a photographic exhibition of archaeological... read more
Inside the castle, former residence of Vafeiadis, the renovated building of the Greek interwar, is housed the Municipal Gallery of Didymoteicho. It was founded in 2000 to host the works of the internationally renowned painter Dimitrios Nalbandis. t was decorated internally and externally in eleven months time by the same painter, under voluntary offer to its hometown and the memory of his mother.... read more