This is a very important castle, built on a steep hill in the fields of Sangri and Agiassos. According to researchers, it took its name after the abundant “apaliries”, a kind of bush that sprouts there. It was erected in the first years of the Byzantine era, though probably there was already a fortification in the antiquity, because part of the wall is prehistoric. It was abandoned in the 13th century with the arrival of the Venetians. When Sanoudos came to the island, the castle was dominated by Genoese pirates. In order to force his men to conquer the castle, he burnt his galleys, so the soldiers had no other choice: drive out the Genoese and take the castle or die. After five weeks of siege, the Venetians of Sanoudos took over Apaliros castle and chased away the pirates. Sanoudos took the island and founded the Duchy of the Aegean.
Nowadays a large part of the castle strong walls is still preserved along with some towers, bastions, cisterns. Apart from the remains of houses the two-aisled church of Agios Georgios with a dome and beautiful architecture is also preserved. Some researches attribute it to the 7th-8th century. There are also other churches in the castle and climbing up there is a unique experience, as it offers an open view of the south side of Naxos.
Music, dancing with traditional costumes, songs, arts, feasts and festivals are part of the Naxian daily life. The island is famous all over Greece for its rich musical tradition and there are important composers/musicians from Naxos, including Konitopouleoi, Fyrogenides, Stamatonanolides, Vrontogiorgides, Koukoularides, Hatzopouloi. “Kotsakia” (folk poems of two or eight verses that were created... Read more
This is the highest peak of Naxos, usually covered with clouds and named Myti of Za (Nose of Zeus). It has namely the name of Zeus and maybe this was also its name in the antiquity, as they used to worship the father of gods on this very mountain. The archaic inscription carved on a rock in the path that leads to the top of the mountain says “Oros Dios Milosiou” (Mountain of Zeus of Milon), which... Read more
The small wetlands, salt marshes and dunes of Naxos are a haven for birds, fish and reptiles. The most important wetland is that of Alyki which comprises a large lake southwest of the airport runway. It is the largest salt lake in the Cyclades and retains enough water. The vegetation includes reeds, aquatic plants and clumps of cedar trees. 166 bird species have been observed and it is enlisted in the protected... Read more
This is a very important castle, built on a steep hill in the fields of Sangri and Agiassos. According to researchers, it took its name after the abundant “apaliries”, a kind of bush that sprouts there. It was erected in the first years of the Byzantine era, though probably there was already a fortification in the antiquity, because part of the wall is prehistoric. It was abandoned in the 13th... Read more
Today about 30 towers are preserved in the countryside of the island. They have been built by feudal Venetians in particular (and other Latin nobles) who used them as a base to exploit the real estate of the field they held. Their defensive line included battlements, murder holes, turrets, huge doors and small windows to protect the defenders. They were made of stone and had many floors and thick walls. Bazeos... Read more
Gardoumia is a special meze from lamb intestines that is made on the island of Naxos, just like in Crete; besides, the strong connections between the two islands are well-known. Meze holds a special place in the Greek culinary tradition and could be described as an appetizer, a treat to share with friends in a relaxed environment. Gardoumia is a popular dish among mountain and pastoral farming/shepherds’... Read more
The Castle in Pythio (of the Byzantine Empythio) is located 16 km north of Didymoteicho, near the railway bridge, which enters from the Greek to the Turkish ground.
It was built from 1331 to 1341 by Ioannis Kantakouzenos VI, who used it to control the crossings from the valley of the Evros river. Back then, this great river was navigable almost until Filipoypoli and it was the main commercial artery from north to south.
Today, out of the small sized, but strong fort, only two large
towers and some elements of the fortification have survived. This fort was occupied by the Ottomans in 1361, who used it as a base for operations against the Didymoteicho.
Source: Eastern Macedonia & Thrace
The hot curative springs of Traianoupoli were a major attraction from ancient times. The city of Traianoupoli was built by the Roman emperor Traianos in the beginning of the 2nd century A.D. According to tradition, Traianos (106/7 A.D.) on his way to and from war for Dakia created “agores”. He founded schools, libraries, baths (thermae). The foundation of Traianoupoli fell within the reconstruction... read more
The Castle in Pythio (of the Byzantine Empythio) is located 16 km north of Didymoteicho, near the railway bridge, which enters from the Greek to the Turkish ground. It was built from 1331 to 1341 by Ioannis Kantakouzenos VI, who used it to control the crossings from the valley of the Evros river. Back then, this great river was navigable almost until Filipoypoli and it was the main commercial artery... read more
The hill of Agia Petra in south-eastern side of Didymoteicho has been largely associated with the Roman Plotinopoli. The city was founded by the Roman emperor Trajan, named in honor of his wife Plotina. This hill, in a strategic position, attracted the archaeological interest before the Second World War. In 1965, during the construction of a trench by soldiers was found a hammered gold bust of the Roman... read more
Messemvria-Zone, a colony of Samothraki the late 7th century BC, initially served the needs of the diocese in agricultural products and commercial communication with the Thracian tribes of the hinterland. But the original rural character passed almost early - in the 6th century B.C. - in a second place, as well as trading and maritime movement of goods proved to be very safe and profitable. So the city... read more
At the basement of the municipal refreshment of Spileo, at the "Koryfi" (“Top”) area, in a beautiful natural environment, with the view of the plains of Arda and Adrianoupoli, there is the archaeological educational exhibition of Spileo. In a space that was remodeled, after a museological study, with new design and proper lighting, the visitor can see a photographic exhibition of archaeological... read more
Inside the castle, former residence of Vafeiadis, the renovated building of the Greek interwar, is housed the Municipal Gallery of Didymoteicho. It was founded in 2000 to host the works of the internationally renowned painter Dimitrios Nalbandis. t was decorated internally and externally in eleven months time by the same painter, under voluntary offer to its hometown and the memory of his mother.... read more
The castle of Kavala is at the top of the peninsula where the old city is built.
During Byzantine times and after them successive reconstructions and interventions in the fortification by the Byzantines, Venetians and Turks, have been done.
The castle (citadel) in its present form, was built in the first quarter of the 15th century, based on Byzantine foundations.
In its external theater are held cultural events.
Castle’s Presentation Website: www.castle-kavala.gr
Source: Eastern Macedonia & Thrace
It is located at the borders of Kavala and Xanthi prefectures, south of the town of Stavroupoli, with area of 2,380 hectares. It is one of the most beautiful landscapes of Greece with great ecological interest. The visitors can see the plurality of rare plants such as the agriopaschalia, champerlea, red peony and ramnis of Rhodope. At the same time, the region is rich in fauna, with nesting wolves,... read more
The health place of krinides, with its therapeutic clay and curative water, geographically belongs to a wider area with rich history that begins with the foundation of the city in 360 B.C. One of the most important archaeological sites of eastern Macedonia is situated in Krinides, Kavala. In this historic region one can come across the ancient thermae, the ancient agora, the ancient theatre of Filippoi,... read more
Located 15 km from Kavala in Krinides and is one of the most important historical sites in the area. Founded by the father of the Great Alexander and took his name. Includes, the ancient theater of Philippi (where every summer is organised the homonymous Festival), the Forum and the commercial market, the palaestra, the islands with private houses and early Christian churches. It was founded by Thassian... read more
The castle of Kavala is at the top of the peninsula where the old city is built. During Byzantine times and after them successive reconstructions and interventions in the fortification by the Byzantines, Venetians and Turks, have been done. The castle (citadel) in its present form, was built in the first quarter of the 15th century, based on Byzantine foundations. In its external theater are held... read more
The Nautical Museum of Kavala was created in 2005 with the aim of preserving the maritime cultural heritage. Currently is underway the creation of space that will house the Maritime Museum. Nevertheless, members of the Museum are being active by visiting schools, participating in the naval week with nautical exhibits and their participation in international conferences. Source: Eastern Macedonia... read more
The Historical & Literary Archive Kavala was founded in 1996. Its current official legal form and recommendation was made in 1996, when it was obvious that the size was so extended and with important historriacal value that it should be organized with modern methods and standards, based on scientific foundations files, to present a valuable historical material being collected the past 50 years. The... read more
Located on a hilltop in the village Castro, overlooking Elis plain, Chlemoutsi castle is one of the most imposing castles in the Peloponnese. Its name is of Slav origin and it resulted from a distortion of the word “Chelmos” or “Chelonata” which is the name of the hill on which it is built. There is evidence of a palaeolithic and middle Helladic settlement (10.000 b.C and 2.000 b.C).
The most powerful fortress of the Frankish Principate of Achaea was established in 1220-1223 by Geoffrey I Villehardouhin. In order to cover its immense construction costs, the French General had a dispute with the Principate’s latin clergy. During the Turkish rule it served as the headquarters for the Turk officials, voevoda and cadi. In 1427, Constantinos Palaeologos gained possession of the castle and used it as a military and administrative center. In 1460, it was conquered by the Ottomans and in 1867 by the Venetians who ruled it until 1715 when it was recaptured by the Ottomans.
Consisting of two parts, the Chlemoutsi castle is a fine example of fortress architecture. The horseshoe-shaped outer enclosure surrounds the inner part, located at the southeast side, on the highest spot of the hill. The total length of its walls is about 1km long. Alongside one can see remains of buildings dating back to the same period as the castle itself (13rd century), like cisterns and traces of a water piping system. The inner enclosure comprised of the Castellan residence, reception halls, kitchens and the guard’s quarters, while cisterns, chimneys and storage rooms are preserved in the two storey rooms.
To the west of the prefecture of Ilia, 27 km from its capital, Pyrgos, lies the area known as Kaiafas, comprising a vast beach on the side of the Ionian sea, a coastal pine forest and the homonymous lake, which is the centre of health tourism in the area. The healing properties of the Kaiafa lake waters have been known since antiquity; according to the ancient Greeks, they owed their properties to the nymphs... read more
Ilida or Ilis was a city-state in ancient Ilia, very near ancient Olympia, and took up the area which today extends from the village of Paliopoli (or Nea Ilida) to the southeast, Bouchioti (or Avgeio) to the southwest and Kalyvia to the west. According to myth, it was founded by Oxylus, son of Aemon and Gorgi, who is also mentioned in some traditions as the founder of the Olympic Games. Oxylus, who hailed... read more
Foloi oak forest is a designated site under NATURA 2000 that dates back to ancient times. It’s the only flat forest in Greece situated on the boundaries between Elis, Arcadia and Achaia, at an altitude of 600meters. It covers a total surface of 218.000 acres and it consists mainly of broadleaf oaks. Foloi oak forest is a designated site under NATURA 2000 that dates back to ancient times. It’s... read more
Pineios is one of the Peloponnese’s most significant rivers, its total length is 70 km. Also known as Gastouni River, it has its sources in the mount Erymanthos and empties in the Ionian Sea near town bearing the same name. According to mythology, Hercules diverted the flow of Pineios and Alfeios rivers in order to clean the Augean Stables in his fifth labor. After having demolished the stables’... read more
Peloponnese’s longest river (111km long) has its source in Arcadia and its mouth in the Prefecture of Elis. According to mythology, Apheus was one of the river-gods of antiquity, worshiped mainly in the regions of Arcadia, Elis and Messinia. Son of Oceanus and Tethys, he killed his brother Cercaphus and haunted by the Erinyes, he leapt into the river which was later named after him. Source: www.mythicalpeloponnese.gr [vc_row][vc_column][ivi_nbcaj... read more
During classical times Olympia was the city of Ilia best known as the area where the Olympic Games took place, the greatest athletic event of the then-Greek world. Today Ancient Olympia is a village and a municipality of Ilia, built in the valley of river Alpheus. Nearby lies the archaeological site, one of the most popular ones in Greece, which attracts every year tourists from all over the world.... read more